A Little Savvy Events Party at Modern Cookie Company


I was kindly invited along to the Modern Cookie Company in Larkspur the other week to watch the creative team at A Little Savvy Events set up a first birthday party for jewelry designer Ashley Morgan's  daughter.

Ashley Morgan & her daughter

I first wrote about Modern Cookie Company when it opened in December (read article)  and it is fast becoming a social hub in the local community and a popular place to hold children’s parties.

Modern Cookie Company

Each party can have a made-to-order concept and this particular party’s theme was based the birthday girl’s favorite things; “puppies & polka dots”. I was rather interested in coming along to take a look, as I am also planning my daughter’s first birthday party, so I wanted to pick up a few tips!

A Little Savvy Events party at Modern Cookie Co

A Little Savvy Events is a new division of A Savvy Event which specializes in weddings and bespoke events based in the beautiful Cornerstone Gardens in Sonoma.  The head of the company is Kelly McLeskey Dolata who has extensive experience in organizing and managing events in the Greater Bay Area and specifically in the wine country. She is also a mother of two children; her latest addition was just 6 weeks old at the time of this party, so she is also a bit of a wonder woman as well as a momtrepreneur!

Being a mother and her ability to organize stylish children’s parties, made launching a sister company specializing in fun children’s events a natural progression. A Little Savvy Events was founded in February with the belief that “gorgeous and once in a lifetime events aren’t exclusive to grownups!”

Dog theme dessert table by A Little Savvy Events

The Marin Scoop spoke to Kelly McLeskey-Dolata to find out more…

When and why did you first start to organizing events?

I started my company A Savvy Event in 2007 after working in the hotel industry for 10 years. I used all the knowledge I gained from planning corporate events to social events and weddings and started A Savvy Event.

I have always had a love for planning parties! It sounds so cliché to say I have been planning parties since I was a little girl but it is the truth! I remember planning my fifth birthday party and I told my mom that I was a big girl and I wanted to have a luncheon birthday party and that all my friends need to dress fancy because I was bigger! So we had a beautiful luncheon in my mother’s formal dining room and everyone wore there Sunday's best! I truly love planning the events and designing them! It fits my personality to a tee! You have to work countless hours and have lots of energy, patience and personality! 

Why did you decide to start a sister company dedicated to kid's parties?

I have always loved children and I have always wanted to do something with children! For a while I thought I wanted to be a teacher but I tried that and it just wasn't for me. In 2010 I gave birth to my daughter Kate and from that day forward I knew A little Savvy Event was going to happen! It took me two years to build it up and work on the business and exactly two years to the day she was born: A little Savvy was born! 


Party hats by Jessica at Prop shop Boutique 

What are the key elements to a successful kid's party?

Organization is Key! Lots of FUN and fun Activities for the kids to enjoy!

What should you bare in mind when planning a first birthday party? 

Usually the first birthday party is for the parents then the child and that is true as the child isn't old enough to express what he or she wants however with A Little Savvy we really try to learn about the first year of the child's life so we can make the party about him or her and personalize the event so people even though usually most of the guests are adults feel like they are at a celebration for the child and that their personality and their first year shines through at the event!

What are the things you want people to take away from attending a party you have planned? 

That a party can be well orchestrated, that no detail was left untouched and that they had a great time! It doesn’t have to be pretentious just carefully thought through and thoughtful.

Creative party services from A little Savvy Events


How do you give back to the local community?

We love to give back! This past year we did a holiday party and raised close to $5000 for Loving Ella Foundation ! We love to look for organizations that help children locally that we can either donate our time to or raise money for! 

Tell us more about your forthcoming craft classes

Well we are a bunch of crafters at A Savvy Event and we love to share our ideas with others, so this year we launched our first ever craft series and it has been a huge success! Our most popular classes have been our "for the love of chalk" class and “How to photograph your children” taught by Allyson Wiley. We are getting ready to launch our summer series of crafts and we will even have a mini-series that kids can sign up for! So stay tuned!!!! Fun things are happening!

How do you come up with a concept or theme for party i.e "puppies and polka dots" and develop it with the client?  

We sit down with each of our clients and we have a questionnaire that they fill out to get to know them as a family and their child! Through the questionnaire and our discussions we usually can come up with a pretty cool theme or take a theme that is popular and put our own spin on it! I never want two parties to look the same because no two children are the same! Each party and theme should reflect the child we are working with! To me that is what is so fun and challenging and makes me love what I do so much!!! 

“Puppies and Polka Dots” Party Ideas

Print Your Party created the cute puppy flag bunting, signage, and printable labels on the bottles, cups, straws. Check out Andrea’s website for more free printables!

Print Your Party sign 

This impressive birthday cake of the birthday girl’s dog was adorable and created by inticing Creations

Dog birthday cake by inticing creations

It’s a great idea to offer a creative activity at a children’s party, like this cookie decorating station with the icing served in dog bowls. There was also eatable doggie biscuits served in doggie bowls dotted around the party.

Cookie Decorating Station at Modern Cookie Co

The guest’s goodie bags contained this beautiful alphabet print by petite lemon and faux fur hats by SpiritHood Kids

Alphabet print by petite lemon 

If you are looking for a company to help you organize a baby shower, gender reveal party, sip & see and children’s birthday parties, then A Little Savvy Events does it all! Check out their website for further information about their services included stylized children photoshoots with Allyson Wiley Photography who provided these beautiful pictures.  


Special thanks to Lisa Hanson and Nina Sadjadpour for making this article possible!

1 comment:

flake said...

Enjoy Parties and Don't Get Worried About Transportation Let Us Handle all the Hasles of Finding Parking and getting Dropped of in the Front Venue in a Nice Luxurious why not a ‪Partybus‬. Call us 800-600-9981 24/7
Bay Area Party Bus
Bay Area Party Bus Rental

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...